Depression is a hot topic right now, with 1 in 5 Americans suffering from the disorder. Both medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy have been shown to be effective treatments, and finding the right provider can be a HUGE help! In addition to treatment, there are some basic lifestyle changes that may help decrease symptoms.
1) Eat nutritious meals that include protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Limit sugars and alcohol.
2) Exercise regularly. Recommendations vary, but most experts agree that 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise at least 3 days per week is the minimum to see changes in mood. If possible, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, preferably outside in the morning sun.
3) Get enough sleep! Experts recommend getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per day.
4) Spend time outdoors in the sun.
5) Connect with other people in person. Social support can help you manage stressful life events and your mood.
If you are interested in a pursuing treatment with me, information about the process and fees is available here.